Special Plans for Adults Under 30
Open Enrollment is now closed. To see if you qualify to enroll now, click here.
Make sure you're covered
- If you do not have health plan, you’ll find many new options to GET COVERED.
- If you currently have a health plan purchased through the Health Insurance Marketplace you’ll need to STAY COVERED by reviewing your new plan options and selecting your 2017 plan.
Things to consider
- Under age 26: If your parents have a health plan that provide coverage for family members, you can be added or kept on their plan even if you are attending school, not living with your parents, married, or financially independent of your parents.
- College Students: Students are not exempt from the fee charged to those who do not have health converage. If you’re covered by your school’s student health plan, in most cases you’re considered covered and you won’t have to pay the penalty. Even you have access to a student health plan you can choose to buy a plan through the Marketplace instead. Check with your student health plan to see if it qualifies as coverage under the health law.
Health coverage options for people under 30
- Regular Individual Plans: Maine’s Health Insurance Marketplace offers many high quality health plans with valuable benefits by a variety of companies. Use the Marketplace to compare plans and select the right one for your budget. You can also fill out a Marketplace application to find out if you qualify for lower costs, or use the quick plan and cost preview tool first.
- Under-30 Plans: If you're under 30 as of January 1, 2016 you have the option of enrolling in a more limited "catastrophic" health plan. This type of plan protects you from very high medical costs, but it generally requires you to pay all of your medical costs up to a certain amount (usually several thousand dollars). These plans basically protect you from worst-case scenarios.
Shopping for insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace can help you find a plan that fits your budget. Nearly 90% of Mainers who purchased a plan through the Marketplace qualified for a break on the costs of insurance.
Depending on your annual income, financial help is available to help you purchase a plan through the Marketplace. If you could never before afford coverage, you may now be eligible for free or low-cost insurance at a monthly premium that fits your household budget. You can use this quick calculator to see if you might quality for lower premiums.
NOTE: If you buy an under-30 catastrophic plan through the Marketplace, you can’t get lower costs on your monthly premiums or on out of pocket costs based on your income.
Get answers to your questions
Need Help to Get Enrolled in the Right Plan? Purchasing the right health insurance plan can seem complicated, but there are lots of people you can turn to for free help and advice.
- Trained customer service representatives are available through toll-free help lines or on-line website chat tools at HealthCare.gov . The toll-free number is 1-800-318-2596.
- Specially certified assisters (also called "navigators") workings in organizations across Maine are ready to provide free help either in person or by phone. Use our handy Find Help Tool to locate a free certified assister near your home or business.
- Certified insurance brokers can also help you review plan options. Many are also listed in the Find Help Tool. Be sure to ask whether the broker is Health Insurance Marketplace certified.